Kent is a Partner at Nixon Wenger LLP and is the head of the Civil Litigation practice group. Kent practices a wide range of civil litigation with an emphasis on construction, contract, employment and land disputes.
Kent has appeared in every level of court in the Province of British Columbia. Kent has also been successful in assisting clients in finding early solutions to conflicts through direct intervention, mediation and arbitration. His clients appreciate his thoroughness and attention to detail as well as his strong communication skills.
Kent has acted for clients in many areas of litigation. In particular, Kent has acted for numerous developers, contractors and suppliers in construction disputes, as well as for landowners, vendors, purchasers and investors in real estate disputes. Additionally, Kent acts for clients in complex litigation involving shareholder and corporate matters as well as contractual disputes.
Kent has acted for both employers and employees over the course of his career. He has appeared both before administrative tribunals and in court representing clients with respect to settling matters such as wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal and applicable severance pay.
Mediation / Arbitration
Kent is a mediator and Qualified Arbitrator. He recognizes that the costs associated with litigation can be prohibitive and makes every attempt to assist clients in resolving disputes early in the process through negotiation, mediation or arbitration.
Education and Interests
- BA from Brigham Young University in 1988.
- LLB from the University of Victoria in 1993.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar in 1994.
Professional and Civic Interests
- Director of the North Okanagan Hospice Society
- Member of the Southern Interior Construction Association
- Member of the BC Arbitration and Mediation Institute
- Commercial Arbitrator
- Coach of youth basketball
- Former member of the Executive and Board of Governors of the Trial Lawyer Association of BC