Tom started his legal career in Vernon in 1996. He took a leave from practice from 2001 to 2009 to serve as MLA for Vernon-Monashee and held a number of cabinet portfolios during that time. He has since practiced in Vernon and Vancouver and returned to Nixon Wenger in April 2014.
Tom has a general solicitor’s practice, assisting clients with business matters, wills and incapacity planning, the administration of estates, and real estate conveyancing and financing matters. He has a particular interest in assisting families with the transition of assets from one generation to the next through effective personal and business succession planning as well as resolving estate disputes outside of court.
Tom maintains a strong interest in matters involving Indigenous peoples and was recently a lead negotiator in the renegotiation of the BC Tripartite Education Agreement between Canada, British Columbia, and the First Nations Education Steering Committee.
Tom prides himself on being responsive to his client’s needs, providing practical, timely advice to help them accomplish their goals.
Education and Interests
- University of Victoria Bachelor of Arts 1990
- University of Victoria Bachelor of Laws 1994
- Called to the British Columbia Bar 1995
Professional and Civic Interests
- Director, Canadian Mental Health Association, Vernon Division
- Member, Kalamalka Rotary Club
- Director, Okanagan Indian Band Economic Development Committee
- Director and Vice -Chair, OKIB Holdings GP Ltd.
- Former Chair and Director, Community Living B.C.
- Former Director, Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust
- Former Member of the British Columbia legislature for Okanagan-Vernon
- Former Minister of Education, Minister of Aboriginal Relations, and Minister of Children and Family Development for Province of British Columbia
- Former Chair, British Columbia Legal Services Society